With the recent news coverage surrounding Candace Parker, more and more people have become familiar with the WNBA especially since this article in the New York Times profiling reigning WNBA MVP Candace Parker’s return to basketball following her giving birth to a daughter just over one month ago. Perhaps that’s why when One2One Network offered me the chance to take my family to the WNBA for a night out, I was excited.
Isaac is 18 months old and although there were other kids going, he’s a bit of a monkey and I couldn’t imagine him sitting still throughout the game….plus we were due a date night so I packed him off to my girlfriend’s and we headed out to the UIC, Chicago where the Chicago Sky were playing the Detroit Shock.
First of all, I was shocked by all the kids there jumping around and waving things and having fun. It was Girl Scout night so there were lots of little girls there with their mums so that might have accounted for some of it but genuinely these kids were having a ball. As the game progressed the McFly kids would come along and throw things into the crowd sending them wild and pumping up the atmosphere.
I was a little disappointed to stand in line for tickets for over 20 minutes at will call but apart from that we had a good time. There were lots of families out for the night and young couples cheering on the Sky. If you’re interested in taking your family for a discount night out to the WNBA, check this special out that I’ve got and Take Your Family to the WNBA.
Wanna read more about how the WNBA Is involved in a bunch of charities? Check this out:
* WNBA Cares: http://www.wnba.com/cares/ and http://www.wnba.com/community/WNBA_Cares_Fact_Sheet.html
* Read to Achieve: http://www.wnba.com/community/readtoachieve_020508.html
* Fast Break to Reading Program: http://www.wnba.com/fbtr/
* Go Red (American Heart Association): http://www.wnba.com/cares/goredforwomen_teams_090618.html
* Breast Health Awareness: http://www.wnba.com/bha/bha_2003.html
* Jr WNBA: http://www.nba.com/jrnba/ and http://www.nba.com/jrnba/discover_homecourt_challenge_2008.html
* Nothing but Nets (partner): http://www.nothingbutnets.net/
I blog with integrity: I was not monetarily compensated for this post but was given tickets to go see the WNBA.