My crock pot and I are the best of friends. It allows me to just dump in a bunch of ingredients and go and then come home to a house that smells delicious and a dinner that is almost all ready. If you don’t love your crock pot already, this recipe will turn you into a believer. With a bit of spice and a touch of sweet this Tex-Mex chicken salad recipe will have you coming back for seconds!
• 1 lb. Chicken Breasts
• ½ cup Salsa
• ½ cup Brown Sugar (You can add more if you would like it really sweet)
• 1 Tbsp Cumin
• 1-4 oz Can Diced Green Chilies
• ½ Can Sprite (Any lemon-lime soda will work but don’t substitute diet soda.)
• Cilantro Dressing (Recipe Below)
• Salad toppings of your choice
- Combine chicken, salsa, brown sugar, cumin, green chilies and Sprite in a crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. (I always use frozen chicken breasts to save on money and allow me to leave the house longer. If you use frozen chicken, cook on low for 8 hours.)
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Thicken the juices with a bit of cornstarch mixed with water.
- Add chicken back to crock pot and cook for another hour.
- Serve on top of a warmed tortilla top with romaine lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro and lime.
- If you want it to be spicier, add more chilies and a hotter salsa.
- To sweeten it up, add more brown sugar.
- Use leftovers to make tacos, enchiladas or quesadillas.
• 1 Pkg Ranch Dressing Mix
• 1 cup Buttermilk
• ½ Bunch of Cilantro
• 1 Jalapeno diced and seeded
• 1 cup Mayonnaise
• Juice from 1 Lime
• 1-2 Tomatillos
• 1 Garlic Clove
** Blend all ingredients in a blender and serve immediately or keep in fridge for up to one week.
For tips and tricks on using your slow cooker please LIKE our Facebook page and watch the videos. It’d be great if you could share too using the tools below! It’s Slow Cooker Monday! What’s in your pot?