Last week 8oz mushrooms were just $.49 at ALDI which is unprecedented and got me thinking about how to cook them. Of course I though of the Slow Cooker and thus here’s a recipe for Slow Cooker Stuffed Mushrooms.
- 16oz mushroom caps
- 1# turkey or Italian sausage. I used turkey links I had and ground them in the food processor.
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 TBS garlic minced
- 1/4 cup of basil
- 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese. I used mozzarella but to make it “tangier” use a tarter cheese like sharp cheddar or Gruyere
- 1 cup of bread crumbs or corn meal
- 1 cup of red wine (optional but it did give it a great flavor)
- Remove all the stems from your mushrooms. To avoid waster blend in the food processor and add to the mix. The easiest way I found to remove a cap to make the hole is to push it in the opposite direction of the way it’s pointing.
- Add a small amount of olive oil or spray to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Simply mix all the ingredients together by hand.
- Add them to the mushroom caps using a small spoon or bag. I cut the end off a sandwich bag and piped it in.
- Add to cooker and cooker on high for about 2 hours
- Serve with rice or couscous and a salad. Serves 4.