Most stores often have bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts on sale which is why this recipe will end up being a good one to have around. Thanks Trish for this!
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8oz softened cream cheese
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Small squeeze of lemon juice or zest
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup of fresh herbs
- 1 cup of broth
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: fennel
- In a small bowl the brick of softened cream cheese, S&P, minced garlic, oil, lemon, and some fresh herbs (I used 1/4c of fresh basil and flat leaf parsley).
- Mix well and taste.
- Stuff the cheese mixture under the skin (1-2 TBSP).
- Then cut a pocket into the breast meat and stuff the mixture into that pocket as well.
- I usually cut once.
- Open it up and then cut on both sides of the pocket so the meat really hugs the stuffing.
- Heat and oil a pan.
- Place the breast skin down and brown. Try not to touch the chicken once on the pan to prevent the stuffing from spilling out.
- Set aside.
- Chop up a large onion, fresh fennel bulb if you have it and roughly chop up 2 cloves of garlic throw it in the slow cooker along with 1/2 c of broth. Set the browned, stuffed chicken skin side up on the veggies.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.