Lighten up traditional meat chili with this low-fat version that’s bursting with flavor. It uses boneless, skinless chicken breast and organic beans for a heavy dose of protein. Roasted chili peppers lend a smoky complexity to this super simple crock pot dish. For more Mexican flair, serve with baked lime tortilla chips and fat-free salsa verde. When you serve it, teach your family to say “este chile es delicioso!”
- 1 Pound organic/hormone free boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 16-ounce can organic kidney beans
- ½ bunch fresh organic cilantro
- 2-3 fresh organic chili peppers
- 2 organic onions, chopped
- One 8-oz. can organic chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 TBSP. Red wine vinegar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup organic chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan, then wash and chop the cilantro, garlic and onions and lightly sauté them together until onion is translucent and cilantro is wilted.
- Do not let the garlic brown.
- Meanwhile, rinse and chop chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Using a blow torch or the fire from a gas stove, roast the chili peppers until they are crisp and dark brown on the outside, then cool, remove the charred skin and dice.
- Into the crock pot, place chicken, onion/garlic/cilantro mixture, chilis, beans, tomatoes, vinegar, red wine, chicken broth, sugar, corn starch and cumin.
- Stir thoroughly. Set on low and cook for 12 hours.
- As an alternative to chips and salsa on the side, serve with crusty French bread for dipping and an arugula salad on the side.
It’s Slow Cooker Monday! What’s in your pot?