Fighting picky eaters is no fun. Neither is spending precious time cooking up a lunch that is both simple and healthy. I’ve found in my nearly 7 years as mom that children are simplistic, even with their food. Fresh, raw, not fancy or fussy. A little dip on the side. Funny thing is, the way they like it is the easiest way for me to fix it!
Instead of fussing over lunch, I often toss a few healthy snacks onto the Snack Lunch Tray. They think they’re having a picnic party with mama’s cool platter.
- they’re eating lots of fresh fruits and veggies
- I’m not heating up the kitchen
- lunch is simple and fun again
Depending on what’s in season and what I have on hand, our snack lunch tray includes a variety of
- fresh veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes)
- fresh fruit (peaches, oranges, bananas, pineapple, apples, plums)
- cheese cubes
- ranch dressing (on the side, please) 😉
- mini muffins
- chunks of chicken, ham, or turkey
- mini sandwiches (usually pb&j)
- tuna or chicken salad as a “dip”
Simple, frugal, and… they’ll eat it!
Do you prepare a snack lunch tray? What foods do you include?