The Shedd Aquarium offers tons of things for families to do during Spring Break and year round and this weekend we got to take our kiddos there for the first time. Isaac (5) was ready for the dolphins and Chase (2) couldn’t stop talking about the penguins.
After wandering around the exhibits for a while we headed to the Shedd Aquarium show to see how the trainers train the animals to respond. The dolphin jumps were awesome but the little penguins coming out and waddling right in front of us stole Chase’s heart for sure.
Healthy Food Choices
The other cool thing about Chicago’s only aquarium is their new healthy fare: As the nation focuses on improving children’s eating habits, Shedd Aquarium is unveiling new healthy food options for its young guests. Shedd is the first cultural institution to partner with Healthy Fare for Kids, a national initiative, to bring healthy menu options to the more than 750,000 young aquarium visitors each year. The updated children’s menu will include a seasonal Right Bite option of sustainable seafood that benefits the health of our waters worldwide. Shedd’s Bubble Net serves all natural grilled chicken sliders with BBQ sauce and pickle, served with celery sticks and organic peanut butter, as well as low fat baked cheese quesadilla with salsa, served with steamed green beans, a la carte or as a Kids Combo Meal with low fat skim milk or water. Soundings Café offers Justin’s All Natural Peanut Butter and banana griddled on a low fat tortilla, served with fresh fruit, as well as all natural, lean ground beef turkey sloppy Joes served with baked sweet potato fries.
Shedd Aquarium Spring Break Tips
Spring break is a popular time for family trips, so Shedd offers helpful tips to ensure an enjoyable experience:
- · Visit early or plan to spend the end of the day at Shedd. Take advantage of extended hours during spring break.
- · Purchase your tickets in advance through TicketMaster to avoid waiting in line to purchase tickets at the box office.
- · Families planning to explore all that the Windy City has to offer over the break save money and receive immediate
access through discounted multi-attraction packages: CityPASS or GoChicago.
- · Plan an extraordinary experience and explore the wide-open spaces behind the scenes. All extraordinary experiences
- · include express admission.Take public transportation to the aquarium. It’s cheaper than driving and parking, and the CTA’s #146 bus stops right in front of the
- · Use an umbrella stroller for toddlers to easily navigate exhibits and elevators.
- · Plan ahead with one of Shedd’s self-guided Ten Fun Finds. Concentrate on several select exhibits rather than rushing
- to see the whole aquarium.
- · Don’t miss the live animal encounters, dives and chats. Check the schedule in the main foyer for daily schedules.
Illinois residents are offered 52 free days at Shedd Aquarium. On Illinois Resident Discount Days, Illinois residents can enjoy free general admission. This includes the Waters of the World, Amazon Rising, and the Caribbean Reef. Packages including Wild Reef, Polar Play Zone and Abbott Oceanarium are available to Illinois residents at a discounted rate. Shedd’s 52 discount days a year take advantage of civic and school holidays to make family visits more convenient.