I’ve met a lot of contacts through blogging and this week’s recipe is from one such person. Evan over at Quick Dinner Recipes has lots of good ideas for quick easy recipes. I’ve enjoyed checking out some of them and this week he’s been kind enough to write about one that’s straight from the freezer. Thanks Evan!
A great dinner doesn’t have to cost a lot of money or a lot of time in the kitchen. I’ve been writing recently about crock pot basics, so I thought I share one of my favorite crock pot recipes with you. In addition to being delicious and easy to prepare, you can buy all the ingredients for just a few dollars, especially if you get the roast on special!
Frugal Pot Roast
1 beef roast (cheap cut, size appropriate for your crock pot)
1 large onion
1 large green bell pepper
garlic cloves (as many – or few – as you like)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- First, slice the onion into thick rings.
- Separate all of the rings and make a bed of onions about 3 layers deep at bottom of the crock pot. Then place a few garlic cloves (chopped) evenly across the onions.
- Now place the roast beef on top.
- Cut the green pepper into thick strips.
- Along with any remaining onions and garlic, layer the peppers above and around the sides of the roast beef.
- At this point, your crock pot should be fairly full, with the roast in the center, surrounded by the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Now pour in the vegetable oil, covering everything evenly.
- Set the crock pot on high and cook for 6 to 7 hours (temperature settings in crock pots vary, so adjust the cook time or temperature setting as appropriate).
- You’ll be able to tell that the roast is done when it shreds and pulls apart easily. Serve the roast and veggies over rice (boil-in-the-bag is quick and easy!) or with mashed potatoes (You can also make a nice dark gravy from the juices left in the crock pot).
I hope you’ll enjoy this quick dinner recipe that is easy, delicious, and friendly to the family budget! Go here for more recipes from Evan.