Turkey Pot Pie – 6 servings
2 pie crusts
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups chicken or turkey broth
2/3 cup milk
2 ½ to 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook 2 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour, salt and pepper; stir until well blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.
- Add turkey and mixed vegetables; mix well. Remove from heat. Spoon turkey mixture in 9-inch crust-lined pie pan. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.
- Bake 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Turkey Divan – serves 6-8
6-8 cups cubed turkey or chicken
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 TBS lemon juice
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz)
¼ cup margarine
2-10 oz. frozen broccoli or asparagus, cooked
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup crushed corn flakes or bread crumbs
1 tsp curry powder
- Lay broccoli and chicken in the bottom of a butter 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice and curry powder together.
- Pour over broccoli and chicken layer; sprinkle with cheese and crumbs.
- Pour melted butter over top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
Homemade Turkey Soup – servings 8-10
· 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 10- to 12-pound turkey)
· 2 quarts water, or enough to cover carcass
· 1 medium onion, halved
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 2 bay leaves
· 1 cup chopped carrots
· 1 cup uncooked long grain rice/or a handful or two of very fine noodles (I like a thicker soup, so I may add more noodles
· 2-3 stalks chopped celery
· 1/4 cup chopped onion
· 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Place the turkey carcass, water, onion, salt and bay leaves in a soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove carcass; cool. Strain broth and skim off fat; discard onion and bay leaves.
- Return broth to the pan. Add carrots, rice, celery and chopped onion; cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Remove turkey from the bones; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Add turkey and cream soup to broth; heat through.
Turkey Tetrazzini – serves 8
3-4 cups cooked turkey
Salt and pepper
8 ounces fine noodles or spaghetti, cooked and drained
6 TBS butter
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 large green pepper
4 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup light cream or half-and-half
2 cups chicken broth
¼ cup dry sherry
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti or noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat; saute’ sliced mushrooms, onion, celery, and green pepper until soft.
- In a saucepan, melt ¼ cup butter; stir in flour and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Stir until smooth; add chicken broth and cream.
- Cook, stirring until sauce is thickened.
- Add chicken, cooked mushrooms, and sherry; heat through.
- Place noodles or spaghetti in a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish; pour on sauce.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.