Although not everything can be frozen, the things that can sometimes require a little prep work. Here’s some tips I’ve learned over the years:
Okay, so you doubled your recipe and have made two casseroles – one for now and one for the freezer. But, you don’t want all your casserole dishes in the freezer so what do you do?
Line the casserole dish with clear plastic wrap or foil and then spray with cooking spray. Place your casserole in the dish, cover with plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours until completely frozen. Remove from the freezer and take it out of the dish. Then tightly wrap the food in more plastic wrap/foil, label and place back in the freezer.
When you’re ready to eat it take all the plastic wrap off, place back in the original dish and place in the fridge to defrost. Then cook!
2) Fun Ice Cubes
Want to make fun ice cubes for drinks? Add a small piece of fruit (strawberry, cranberry, blueberry etc) to an ice-cube tray and then add water. Freeze and then serve in drinks!
3) Meals In A Pinch
- Brown some meat and add to freezer containers that are big enough for your family. Then in a hurry you can pull them out and add them to things like spaghetti or tacos.
- Make and freeze individual servings of fajita meat like my reader Ann-Marie.
- My freezer always has meatballs in it and yours should too if your family likes them. This recipe is great to freeze.
- Egg rolls or wontons are easy to make and can easily be frozen. I like to bake them instead of frying them.
For whatever reason we’re not big leftover folks around here but we don’t need to be! If we have any leftovers I think about the next few days ahead. If me and the kids won’t eat it for lunch or I’ve got meals planned for the next few days, I wrap up the leftovers in 1-person portions and add to the freezer. On a busy night when I don’t feel like cooking we can take out those packets and each get one!
5) Sauces and More
- A jar of spaghetti sauce is just wayyyyy too big for us so some weeks I plan two meals around 1 jar. But when i don’t feel like eating it twice I simply add the rest of it to a freezer container and stick in the freezer for another night. It’s easy to thaw and use. Lots of people ake spaghetti sauce for the freezer and if you need a recipe here’s my friend Tina’s Recipe for Spaghetti Sauce.
- One of my favorite crock pot meals is my BBQ Cranberry Chicken but it takes 1 cup of BBQ sauce and 1 cup of cranberries and a can is about 2 cups so instead of wasting it I simply add a cup of BBQ and a cup of cranberry to a freezer container and freeze it for another time I want to make the same recipe. You can do this with other sauces that are time consuming or you don’t need a lot.
6) Food Vacuum Sealer
A food vacuum sealer is great for when you buy larger packages of meat because you can divide the items up into amounts more suitable for your family and freeze. The vacuum seal means you do not have to use right away, as you do not need to worry about freezer burn, which can happen when just using zip lock freezer bags.
7) Breakfast Foods.
Who wants to spend their morning cooking breakfast? Not me that’s for sure which is why i love freezing things we can use for breakfast like this Body For Life Pancake Recipe that not only freezes well but it’s healthy.