Ingredients For Fabric Softener
- 1 cup baking soda
- 6 cups distilled white vinegar
- 8 cups water
- 10 -15 drops orange essential oils or 10 -15 drops lemon essential oils or 10 -15 drops essential oils, of choice
Directions For Fabric Softener
- You will need a one gallon container.
- First add the baking soda to the plastic container.
- Next add 1 cup of water to start with.
- Slowly add the vinegar to the bottle as the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz.
- Then add the rest of the water swirling around & cover venting the top a few times.
- Last add the essential oil.
- Add 1 cup in your final rinse cycle for each load but give the bottle a good shake to stir up the essential oil if using.
1) I used a 2 Quart “kool aid” container – wide mouth opening, no lid. I cut the amount of water in half so that at the end you would have a more “concentrated” mixture and would only use 1/2 cup per load instead of 1 cup per load.
2) HUGE CAUTION is that you must add the vinegar very very slowly and do NOT cover it until it has had a chance to settle down. I didn’t cover and shake it at any point the first time. I just took a plastic/rubbermaid type serving spoon to stir it. The second time I felt more confident about what I was doing and got careless….HUGE MISTAKE! I covered the mixture and shook it thinking I would have enough time to “burp” it before there was a problem. Needless to say, it blew the top right off the bottle and shot baking soda/vinegar all over my kitchen (and me)!!
3) I didn’t add any essential oil to the first batch either because I didn’t have any and I tried all of my “new recipes” plain. I have since bought some small squeeze tubes of essential oil from Michael’s for $2.79/0.25 oz. It is a relatively small investment to experiment with different scents. I have a fabric softener dispenser on my washing machine, so I can just add a drop or 2 of the scent I want for that particlar load and not commit to a whole batch of 1 scent either.
Here are 7 more Homemade Cleaners.