A reader sent me a series of what she called ‘Hillbilly Recipes’ that have been in her family for years. As she’s been enjoying my English recipes she wanted us to enjoy some of hers. Here’s the third one, thanks Bettie! CONGO SQUARES
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour (unsifted)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (Canola oil would be fine.)
- 1 pound box brown sugar
- 3 eggs, unbeaten but slightly stirred
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Add brown sugar, flour, and chocolate chips to oil and eggs in large mixing bowl.
- Mix well by hand. Will be hard to mix. Do not add water!
- Spread in LARGE baking pan, 11 1/2″ x 15″ best, but 9″ x 13″ will do. (Allow a little longer baking time.)
- Pat and smooth the batter to the edges of pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 26 to 27 minutes. (28 to 30 minutes for 9 x 13 pan)
- Try not to overbake. Will appear to be soft in middle.
- Allow to cool a few minutes in pan before cutting into bars.
- Better if you cut into bars before they completely cool down, because they are chewy and harder to cut later. Enjoy!!!!