Now is the time corn is on sale, and last year many of you enjoyed my Mother-in-Law’s quick and easy way to do it so here’s the guide for you again to enjoy. Gather your friends and get shucking!
A favorite recipe of mine is Freezer Corn. The slickest trick I learned was to use an angel food cake pan and an electric knife. Holding the corn in the center of the pan, use an electric knife to slice down the sides and allow the kernels to just fall into the pan – it is quick and easy and minimal mess!!!!
The recipe is:
9 cups raw corn (approximately 20-24 ears, depending on size)
2 cups water
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
- Bring all to a rolling boil (actually the sides just boil).
- Take from stove and let stand to room temperature.
- Divide corn and juice into containers. For my family, I just measure 2 servings (1/2 c. each=1 cup) into ziploc sandwich bags. Then I place the bags into a cake pan and put in the freezer.
- When they are frozen (may take a couple of days), I take the bags from the pan and transfer them to a Ziploc freezer bag. The amount of servings depends on how much you put into each bag or container.
- When you go to eat it later, just heat it up without water in the microwave or a pan.