For this week’s English recipe corner my Mum sent us a fun biscuit (AKA cookie) recipe to enjoy courtesy of allbritishfood.com.
MAKES ABOUT 36
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz) plain chocolate
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 100 g (4 oz) sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) vanilla flavouring
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) baking powder
- 175 g (6 oz) walnut pieces, chopped
- powdered sugar for dredging
1. Grease and line three baking sheets with rice paper. Break the chocolate into pieces and put in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat gently until the chocolate has melted. Leave to cool slightly.
2. Cream the butter with the sugar and chocolate until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla flavouring. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder and fold into the butter mixture with the walnuts.
3. Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture well apart on to the baking sheets.
4. Bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool. Dredge with icing sugar. Store in an airtight container.