My Mum just arrived back in England from America today (and I miss her like crazy already after 2 great weeks together!) but my dear friend, Fran, posted this on her Facebook (join Mummy Deals here on FB) so I asked if we could grab it for today. It’s Tomato and Basil soup, me thinks perfect for the weather as if you’re anywhere like me you’re looking at some pretty amazing snowfall right now!
- 3 good chunky carrots peeled and grated
- 1 small onion
- cloveof garlic chopped or teaspoon of garlic puree
- 2oz butter
- 2oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cans tomatoes
- 2pts veg stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree.
- Melt butter in pan, then soften onion, carrot & garlic in it.
- Add to this the flour, paprika, sugar & basil
- Stir around for a minute or so, then add the canned toms, tom puree and veg stock.
- Bring to boil then simmer for about 15 mins.
- I then use a hand blender to give it a nice creamy texture.
It really is delicious, so cheap, no salt needed, and seems to go down well with guests!!