1 Small Onion, chopped
200g/7oz Lettuce Leaves, shredded
450ml/15fl.oz. Fresh Chicken Stock
A good pinch Sugar
2 Egg Yolks, beaten
100g/4oz Fromage Frais
2 tbsp Flaked Almonds, toasted
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry gently until soft and translucent.
2. Add most of the shredded lettuce, reserving a few shreds for garnishing and stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Cool slightly then pass through a sieve or purée in a food processor until smooth.
4. Return the soup to the pan and add the sugar, salt, pepper and egg yolks. Cook stirring until well blended and slightly thickened.
5. Add the fromage frais to the soup and mix until well blended and heated through.
6. To serve – transfer to a soup tureen or individual soup plates/bowls and sprinkle over the toasted almonds.