- 3oz butter
- 2oz treacle. it’s like molasses and is available in international sections otherwise known as syrup.
- 1/2 teaspoonful mixed spice
- grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoonfuls ground ginger
- 1/4lb of flour
- 1oz rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoonful baking powder
- 2oz brown sugar
- little milk
- Cream the butter, work in the sugar by degrees, add the treacle,
- spices and a little lemon rind, and mix well together.
- Sieve the two kinds of flour and add them alternately with the egg and a little milk.
- Beat the mixture until air bubbles begin to appear, and add the baking powder and the coconut last.
- Half fill greased tins that have been dusted out with flour and sugar
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20 mins.