- 225 g (8 oz) flour
- pinch of salt
- 50 g (2 oz) butter, diced
- 100 g (4 oz) Lancashire cheese, grated
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) snipped fresh chives
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) fresh milk and extra for brushing
1. Put the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 50 g (2 oz) of the cheese and the chives.
2. Add the milk and mix to form a soft dough, then knead quickly until smooth.
3. Roll out on a floured work surface until 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick. Cut into 10 rounds with a 5 cm (2 inch) plain cutter and brush the tops with milk. Transfer to baking sheets.
4. Bake at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 for 7 – 10 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.
5. Immediately put the remaining cheese on top of the scones and allow to melt before serving hot or cold.