Not my fave I must say but stinkin’ cheap! Thanks, Angela for this!
- 8 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup grams of sultana and raisins (1/4 + 1/4)
- 1/2 jar of jam (strawberry or raspberry)
- 3/4 cup butter/ spread
- 1 cup milk
- 2-3 eggs
- sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- serving suggestion
- serve with cream or custard for best flavour
- Take four slices of (preferably semi stale, although it ultimately makes little difference) bread, and butter each on both sides; place them in the dish.
- Now, add your Raisins and sultanas, simply sprinkling them on top of the bread. Once you have spread the raisins and sultanas evenly over the bread, spread half a jar of jam over the raisins and bread so that the jam absorbs the fruit.
- Next, take the other 4 pieces of bread and butter them on both sides. Place the bread on top of the jam, raisins, etc. and then cut the four sandwich-like portions into halves or even quarters so that you will have smaller pieces.
- Put milk into a mixing bowl and whisk in the eggs. When this becomes an almost-cream like colour (or just white with yellow parts), pour the mixture on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sugar (optionally) and bake in the oven for about 45 mins.