Oh goody, my British buddy has helped to bring back English Recipe Corner. Today’s is a very famous baked goods recipe called Bakewell tarts. Thanks, Angela!
1 1/4 cup (6oz) self raising flour
1 stick (3oz) Margarine
Pinch of salt
if needed a dash of milk
1/8 c (1oz) icing sugar, water, vanilla essence (make fairly thick)
Strawberry Jam (jelly)
Glace cherries (the shiny waxy ones)
Pre-heat oven to 190c/375F/ Gas mark 5
- Place flour and marg in bowl and rub together till crumb like.
- Add the salt and sugar mix slightly then add egg.
- Mix together till ball forms (if necessary add a dash of milk to help form the ball).
- Roll out and line a 7in/18cm flan tin then bake blind for about 20mins.
- Once baked take out the oven and allow to cool for a few mins, then cover the base with jam (be generous with the jam).
1 stick (3oz) Marg
1/2c (3oz) sugar
1 cup (6oz) Ground Almonds
a few drops of Almond Essence
- Cream the marg and sugar together.
- Add the Ground Almonds and beaten egg and mix.
- Spread the mixture over the jam and place in the oven, same temperature as pastry, bake for 35-40mins.
- Allow to cool completely then make the icing (icing sugar and water with a drop of vanilla essence) spread the icing on top and decorate with glace cherries.