Cheap Christmas Cake
1 LB MIXED
HALF A POUND OF MARG
12 OZS SUGAR
12 OZS SR FLOUR
SPICES SUCH AS CINNAMON AND NUTMEG
- Barely cover fruit with boiling water and simmer for 5 mins.
- Drain off water and whilst hot add marg and sugar and stir till it all dissolves.
- Cool mixture completely.
- Beat eggs and add to cooled mixture.
- Then add flour and spices to taste Mix all well and pour into a greased loaf / cake tin.
- Bake in preheated oven at reg 4 or 350 degrees for 1 – 1 and a half hours.
- Check its ready by putting a skewer in middle and if it comes out dry the cake is ready.
- Place cake upside down on wire tray and as it begins to cool get it out of the tin.
- It could be decorated with icing sugar and christmassy things or eaten as it comes out of the oven.
Here’s a novel idea – be English and eat it with cheese! Cake should keep for a long time in airtight container