* 6 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 pounds ground beef
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 (8 ounce) package processed American cheese, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, then mash with milk and butter until smooth.
2. In a large, deep skillet over medium high heat, combine ground beef, onion and green pepper. Cook until beef is evenly brown. Drain excess fat. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a deep casserole dish, spoon a layer of beef mixture. Spread a layer of mashed potato over the beef. Continue alternating layers until the dish is full. Top with cheese.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.