It’s that time of year to grab a blanket and a movie and snuggle on the couch. What better way than with some good ole comfort food: soup. I thought I’d share some reader’s fave recipes over the next few days. If you’ve got a recipe you love, leave a comment!
This one is from a dear reader, Jill L.
- 10 oz. hot Italian sausage
- 2 T. canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 T. salt, or to taste
- 1/4 t. black pepper
1. Remove casings from sausage. Place in 4 qt. sauce pan and brown. Drain sausage and run cold water over it to remove fat.
2. Take a paper towel and wipe out saucepan. Add oil, onion and garlic and saute until tender and translucent.
3. Stir in lentils, water, chicken broth and tomatoes.
4. Season with parsley, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until lentils are tender.
6. Serve with a garnish of shredded parmesan cheese.
Serving Size: 1 cup or 3 ladles
Total Protein: 98
Protein per serving: 18
Total Carbs: 84
Carbs per serving: 15