What is British Tomato Soup?
It’s that time of year to grab a blanket and a movie and snuggle on the couch. What better way than with some good ole comfort food: soup. British Tomato Soup is very similar to the American version except we add carrots so my friend sent me her recipe for hers.
This one is an English recipe for my fave soup ever and is from my friend Fran.
- 3 good chunky carrots peeled and grated
- 1 small onion
- clove of garlic chopped or teaspoon of garlic puree
- 2oz butter
- 2oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cans tomatoes
- 2pts veg stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree.
- Melt butter in pan, then soften onion, carrot & garlic in it.
- Add to this the flour, paprika, sugar & basil
- Stir around for a minute or so, then add the canned toms, tom puree and veg stock.
- Bring to boil then simmer for about 15 mins.
- I then use a hand blender to give it a nice creamy texture.
It really is delicious, so cheap, no salt needed, and seems to go down well with guests!!