In August 2007 when I stopped nursing our then 13 month old son Daniel and attempted to introduce whole milk to him, our family discovered that Daniel was allergic to Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Soy and Fish, and our son David (3 years old at the time) was allergic to all Tree Nuts and intolerant to Wheat and Dairy. After we got over the initial shock we thought okay now what do we feed them? We then began to grieve over what they would have to miss (birthday cake, cookies, bread!)
For an entire year I became a short order cook, cooking 3 different meals for each mealtime-I WENT CRAZY! I knew that there had to be a better way to live. There is! Our family now eats all the same foods, we are all No Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Soy and Fish free, and we are Harmless Living! We are healthier and I have created and modified some old family favorite recipes that allow us to enjoy cake, and cookies, things I never thought we would ever have again! I wanted individuals and families to rejoice, because you can live a happy, joy filled life, enjoying food, in spite of your food allergies!
Here is a short list of items that are always on hand in our house:
- Ener G Egg Replacer
- Gluten, Soy and Dairy Free Chicken Broth
- Hormone and Steroid Free Ground Beef
- Bob’s Red Mill Flours (Tapioca, Sweet White Rice, Brown Rice, Quinoa, and Sweet Potato)
- Olive Oil
- Spectrum Shortening
- DeBoles-Corn or Brown Rice Pasta
For times sake, you can pick up a myriad of prepared crackers, pretzels, frozen meals and so many other cool items (too many to list here) at Gluten Free Grocery in Westchester, IL if you live locally.
I decided to share my allergen-free, kid friendly recipes and wrote the recipe book, “Harmless Cooking, Convenient Allergen Free Cuisine” which is full of recipes with no Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Soy and Fish. You can eat every recipe and know with confidence that everything is HARMLESS!
The best lessons that I have learned through our experiences with our children, their allergies, and growth and development delays have been these:
- Have a great sense of humor!
- It is okay to cry sometimes.
- The children will NOT die if they do not eat every meal!
- Enjoy your children-right where they are.
- You know your children better than anyone else-Do the things that work in your family.
- Try everything (all approved foods) until they like something.
- They can eat the one thing that they liked for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner!
- Share your story-things that worked for you, but do not be discouraged if your way did not fit for another family.
- In case of emergency (A very stressed out mummy day) HUG your babies!
- Sleep More!!! You can never get enough-neither can the children.
- If you are married, go on a date with your husband! If you are single spend some time enjoying yourself.
- Spend at least 15 minutes either at the beginning or end of the day to pray, read, or just get centered as you begin or end your day.
- Find a friend who will just let you cry if/when you need to. Be that friend, there to just listen.
- Smile, hang on and be encouraged, you are not alone!!!
- Live, Laugh and Eat good Food!!
Our website offers “Recipes of the Month”, where a different recipe from our cookbook “Harmless Cooking, Convenient Allergen Free Cuisine” is featured each month. Please elect to be added to our email list and you will receive our monthly recipes. Please always check our calendar, there are new events being added all of the time! Check us out at
Whole Foods Market South Loop, 1101 S. Canal Street on May 18, 2009 at 7pm for our first “Harmless Cooking, Living Happily with Allergies” support group meeting.
As a woman, a wife and a mom, it has become my mission to support, and encourage other women/mothers and families to live the best abundant life possible. If you or someone you know has any of the major food allergies we have the perfect book for you and them! “Harmless Cooking, Convenient Allergen Free Cuisine” has over 100 mother tested, family approved recipes! You can check us out on our cooking segment during the WGN Midday News on 3/24/2009, here is the link:
Jenny Turner is a stay at home wife and mother and has been so since the birth of her first son in 2004. Together her and her husband own a family business dedicated to creating delicious Allergen free recipes for you and your family. Right now, Jen has a special deal for my Mummy Dealers. Go to their website here and take $1.00 off of any of their products (books and t-shirts) by entering coupon code “mummydeals” at their online store.