Hands up if you’re like me and love French toast but don’t love taking time to make it?! How about a make-ahead frugal recipe that is quick, cheap and incredibly yummy. Thanks to my dear friends Sam and Sara for this.
1/2 cup margarine melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
12 slices of bread cut up into small squares
1 cup milk
Dash of salt
- Mix 1st three ingredients in the pan
- Spread out all the bread
- Beat milk, eggs, & salt, pour over bread
- Refrigerate overnight
- Bake 30-35 min at 350 degrees.
- Serves around 4.
Lisa H’s tweeks and tips
- I added at least 1 tbsp and would love more.
- I think you could use less butter and just be sure to spray the pan with cooking spray.
- I used less brown sugar, maybe 3/4 cup.
- No salt just because we aren’t big salters.
- I don’t think you have to soak it for even an hour. Soaking it overnight is probably just so that it’s ready to put in the oven in the morning while the coffee is brewing 😉
- I used a couple more slices of bread and it wasn’t too dry, as a matter of fact the middle was still quite moist.
- Topped it with powdered sugar and served with syrup.