Gas prices got you in a pickle? Although this is not an all-inclusive list, here are 18 Tips To Help You Save On Gas that I think will really help. Instead of avoiding going out altogether, get smart about it and make sure your car is in tip-top shape!
1) If you’re going out shopping think of other things you need and hit up multiple stores in one trip. Saving 10 cents per pound on grapes is not worth driving to another grocery store for.
2) When you notice cheap gas at a station, fill up. We live right on the Illinois/Indiana border and gas is much more in Illinois so we always make sure that if we’re going there our tank is full because we don’t want to run out and have to fill up.
3) Sign up for a Speedway Rewards card or other gas loyalty card and get some points.
4) Use public transportation or a bike if possible. Yes, it’s not always possible to do it all the time but it sure can save money.
5) Don’t use the air conditioner unless really necessary. It takes a lot of gas to use.
6) Remove heavy articles from your car that you don’t need. Take a look in your trunk and give it a good clean out or pay to move things around you don’t need.
7) Turn your car off when you’re stopped for more than a minute. Railroad crossings, ATM visits and other places can suck up gas.
8) Carpool if possible.
9) Drive the correct speed. Going too fast or too slow can use more gas.
10) Avoid revving the engine.
11) Buy gas in the early morning or late evening when it’s coolest and at it’s densest. I’ve been watching local pumps and it’s even 10 cents cheaper most mornings.
12) Never overfill. It’s dangerous and wastes gas.
13) Keep windows close. This avoids air drag which can save you up to 10%!
14) Compare local gas prices at Gas Buddy . Thanks Stephanie!
15) Inflate all tires to maximum limit.
16) Get regular tune-ups. Just as you need doctor’s visit to keep you in tip-top shape, so does your car.
17) According to the Car Care Council loose, missing or damaged gas caps cause 147 million gallons of gas to evaporate each year so make sure your cap is on tight.
18) Put your car in the garage at night.